Call: 806-353-6673

Pet Safety Mastery: Commands to Protect Your Pets from Poisons

Our beloved pets are cherished members of our families, yet their natural curiosity can sometimes lead them into dangerous situations, particularly when it involves household hazards. Teaching your pets essential commands like “leave it,” “stay,” and “drop it” can be life-saving skills that prevent them from ingesting harmful substances. In this blog, we’ll delve into effective training methods to help your pets steer clear of toxins and outline steps to take if they do encounter a poisonous substance.

Training Methods to Prevent Toxin Exposure:

“Leave It” Command: Teaching your pet the “leave it” command is crucial for their safety. Begin by holding a treat in your closed hand. When your pet sniffs or paws at your hand, instruct them to “leave it.” Reward them with a different treat once they back away or lose interest. Gradually increase the difficulty by placing the treat on the ground and covering it with your hand. Always reward your pet for complying with the command using a treat from the other hand, not the one they were asked to leave.

“Stay” Command: The “stay” command can prevent your pet from accessing areas where toxins are present. Start in a calm environment, ask your pet to sit or lie down, and then command “stay” with an open palm hand signal. Take a step back, and if your pet remains in place, reward them. Increase the distance and duration gradually before rewarding. Practice in different settings and with distractions to reinforce the command.

“Drop It” Command: In situations where your pet picks up something hazardous, the “drop it” command can be invaluable. Initiate by engaging your pet with a toy and offering a high-value treat while saying “drop it.” When your pet releases the toy to accept the treat, praise them enthusiastically. Regular practice will increase their likelihood of responding to the command if they ever encounter something harmful.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Toxin:

Remain Calm: If you suspect your pet has consumed a toxic substance, maintain composure. Panicking can stress your pet and exacerbate the situation.

Identify the Toxin: Swiftly determine what your pet has ingested. If feasible, gather any remnants of the substance, its packaging, or vomit to present to your veterinarian.

Contact Your Veterinarian: Immediately reach out to your veterinarian or the nearest animal emergency facility. They can offer specific guidance based on the nature of the toxin involved.

Follow Professional Guidance: Refrain from attempting home remedies or inducing vomiting unless instructed by a professional. Some substances can inflict further harm if expelled.

Prevention is paramount, and training your pet to evade toxins is a pivotal aspect of their safety. Nonetheless, accidents may occur, underscoring the importance of knowing how to respond in an emergency. Keep your veterinarian’s contact details readily available, and consider prominently displaying the number for the Animal Poison Control Center. If you require assistance with training your pet to avoid toxins or have concerns about potential hazards in your home, please don’t hesitate to contact us.